Our Main Values
- One Nation Under God: The First Amendment to the Constitution states “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.” We recognize and declare that our rights come solely from our Creator. The preamble and this first amendment is a ringing declaration that we can only be united and maintain our freedom by adhering to the Christian principles upon which this country was founded.
- Constitutionally limited government: We are inspired by our founding documents and regard the Constitution of the United States to be the supreme law of the land. We believe that it is possible to know the original intent of the government our founders set forth, and stand in support of that intent. Like the founders, we support states’ rights for those powers not expressly stated in the Constitution. As the government is of the people, by the people and for the people, in all other matters we support the personal liberty of the individual, within the rule of law.
- Fiscal responsibility and free markets: Fiscal responsibility by government honors and respects the freedom of the individual to spend money that is the fruit of their own labor. It also recognizes that free market conditions come from personal liberties. Like the founders, we believe that personal and economic freedoms are indivisible. Therefore, we support constitutionally limited government that protects the blessings of liberty that allows private business to operate with minimal governmental regulation.
- Term limits for all elected officials: There should never be life-long elected positions for our politicians. Elected positions without term limits leads officials to be more concerned about maintaining their positions than serving the people by whom they are elected. The life-long appointed positions of federal judges insulates them from the ultimate human source of authority; we the people, which allows judges to legislate from their benches. We therefore support term limits for all elected and appointed government officials.
- Knowledge of all bills prior to casting a vote: Senators and Congressmen have a sacred duty to read, investigate and discuss with their constituents every legislative bill before voting.
- Support for our troops and veterans: We The People Tea Party of Southern Iowa supports allowing our military to complete the missions they have been assigned with minimal political interference. We stand against the labeling of our veterans as possible terrorist suspects. We fully support state-of-the-art medical facilities and care for our veterans and their immediate families. Military benefits need to be handled in a timely manner.
- We support elected officials who recognize and acknowledge their accountability to the people they represent: Unlimited funds and favors showered on elected officials by lobbyists and special interests is a recipe for corruption and the erosion of responsible government. Officials must inform and educate their constituents about congressional actions and all bills in order to safe-guard against such things as earmarks and special legislation that benefit a few at the expense of the rest of the people
The mission of the “We The People” Tea Party of Southern Iowa is to support the national Tea Party movement in fighting against excessive government size, spending and taxation. Promote education about our founding fathers’ beliefs, values and goals. To always honor our 7 values. To promote unity among groups who support the values and goals of our founding fathers. Our mission is for we the people to regain control of our government.